Friday, April 1, 2016

SDC-238 What's Old Is New Again

Time again for Stampotique Designers Challenge.

Valerie is our hostess this week and she wants us to make something old new again. Here's what she had to say,

"Re-purpose, re-use, recycle, and alter - words that are music to my ears!  Is there something destined for the trash heap that you can give a new art-filled life?  Or perhaps you're tired of that old wall hanging - can you give it a make-over?  My challenge for you this week is to take something old and make it new again!"

I've had this 3" x 3" block of wood laying around ForEVER! I decided to finally put it to use. My sister had sent me a little giftie and the violets paper was used to wrap it, so I saved it to use in my art. I used Golden Regular Gel to adhere the paper to the wood block, applying it both under and over the paper. Then I grabbed my four favorite Roc Nicholas stamps and used Dylusions Spray Inks to color them. I used Bird Lady, Party Dog, Art Lives Here and Stacked Boxes. I used a quote from Tim Holtz's Small Talk, "Trust Your Crazy Ideas." That's what most of my ideas are and sometimes they turn out to be pretty good! Once everything was dry, I applied some new Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium in Vintage to "age" the stamped images a bit. Then I added some Vintage Photo Distress Ink to further age the images and bring out the crackle effect that the Collage Medium gives. 

This little wood block will now become a paper weight! Thanks for this great challenge, Valerie and making me use something that had just been laying around collecting dust!




 

 

6 comments:

Kathi said...

This is fabulous! Great way to upcycle a boring block of wood and breathe new beautiful life into it!

Thanks for playing along with us this week at Stampotique Designers Challenges!

Corrie Herriman said...

Great idea, Sue, very well executed! Thank you for joining us over at Stampotique this week !
Corrie x

Sue said...

What a brilliant idea Sue, it's amazing isn't it what we have lying around, I know I have lumps of wood too lol. Thanks so much for joining in with us again at Stampotique, and have a fab weekend xx

Claudine said...

What a wonderful idea, I love everything about it! Thanks for joining us this week

Angy B said...

Fab idea. Love the bright colours in the violets paper for your colour scheme .

Valerie H. Marshall said...

And THAT's how you turn a block of wood into fabulous art! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Stampotique this week!
Val :)